[Devel] Updated geolocation and navigation design document

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 14:32:35 GMT 2016

On 19/01/16 14:13, Barkowski Andre (CM-CI1/PRM1) wrote:
> no, we still have a fundamental mismatch,
> the purposes are very different. I feel its hard to discuss all
> that via email, but lets try:

I think you and Philip are using the term "navigation app" to mean
different things, which has led to some confusion.

It sounds as though we have two components:

* The navigation service (possibly in the automotive domain),
  which receives location and a limited set of POI, plots routes, etc.

* The assistance window (navigation UI), which draws the route provided
  by the navigation service

I think when Philip and I have talked about "the navigation app", we've
mostly been thinking of the assistance window. When you talk about "the
navigation app", are you primarily referring to what I've called the
"navigation service" here?

Which one do you intend to be potentially end-user-swappable, for
instance via an app store - the navigation service, or the assistance
window, or both?

I suggest we try to avoid "navigation app" as a term if it's going to be
this confusing, and find a more precise description of each part that
needs to be a separate entity.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>