[Devel] Forwarding dwarf2sources bug upstream.

Andrej Shadura andrew.shadura at collabora.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 13:41:59 CET 2021

Hi Peter and Sjoerd

On 07/12/2021 15:03, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> I prodded Andrew about this when i first saw your mail (as he's the
> maintainer on the Debian side), but it seems he didn't take action on
> it yet...
>
> dwarf2sources is a trivial tool which we use in the Apertis
> infrastucture (a wopping 200 lines of Rust, mostly based on the gimli
> example code) and given Apertis is based on debian stable written
> against the versions in Debian stable.
>
> I doubt there are Debian users using it, so from my point of view it
> would be better to drop it from Debian rather then blocking Rust
> package migrations on it. I don't really intend to update it until we
> start rebasing Apertis to bookworm in any case.
>
> Andrew, unless you plan to update it, could you please request removal
> from Debian?

While I do agree it doesn’t make sense to block other stuff from being
updated, I don’t think a removal request is necessary at this point. I
will try to find time to look at this around Christmas — meanwhile, it’s
okay to raise the severity of the bug and break its build by updating
its build dependencies.

--
Cheers,
   Andrej