[Devel] Updated geolocation and navigation design document

Philip Withnall philip.withnall at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jan 20 15:28:08 GMT 2016

Hi Andre,

I think Simon is correct in that we were not clear on terminology. Due
to the fact that the navigation application bundle is provided as a
black box, I was using the term ‘navigation application’ to mean all
of:
 • a navigation UI for choosing a destination and planning a route;
 • a guidance UI for providing guidance for that route while driving,
potentially also showing points of interest along the way; and
 • a navigation service which provides the (non-SDK) APIs used by the
two UIs, and can act as a backend for the various SDK geo-APIs.

These two UIs may be part of the same application, or may be separate
applications (for example with the guidance UI as part of the system
chrome). The navigation service may be a separate process, or may be
combined with one or both of the UI processes.

The navigation service might communicate with systems in the automotive
domain to provide its functionality.

Essentially, I have been viewing the ‘navigation application’ as a
black box which provides UIs and (non-SDK) services related to
navigation, and hence have not been differentiating the term.

I believe you were thinking I was using ‘navigation application’ to
mean just the navigation UI.

I will reply to your other e-mail with this in mind.

Philip