[Devel] Updated geolocation and navigation design document

Philip Withnall philip.withnall at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 14:55:37 GMT 2016

Hi Andre,

On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 17:16 +0000, Barkowski Andre (CM-CI1/PRM1) wrote:
> Hi Philip,
> I feel we are still not fully on the same page. We closed some gaps
> lately (in regard to the assist-window), but it seems to me that we
> still have a gap in regard to POI handling itself.
> So summarize, let me go one step back and start with
> -       POI service is _not_ equal to route-list.
> I am talking about a route list, you are talking about a central poi
> service.

To check, what do you mean by the terms ‘POI service’ and ‘route list’?

I interpret them as:
 • POI service: an SDK service which returns points of interest like
restaurants, filling stations and tourist attractions
 • Route list: a list of points which describe the plotted route for a
navigation, i.e. the roads to take; this might include alternative
routes; it does not include nearby POIs

> Let me add:
> -       we do _not_ need a central POI service, or vice versa I am
> not aware about a related requirement.

All suggestions I have made about POI handling in the context of the
Geolocation and Navigation document have been references to the
existing https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interest design. I am not
suggesting changes to that design, nor am I suggesting copying parts of
it into this design (or any of the navigation APIs).

> We do have the already mentioned 3 Use cases and the mechanisms
> discussed covers the use-cases already perfectly
> 1) for in app UI browsing: libchamlain. We have it, fine.

Yes.

> 2) for app import / handover: Pull mode for various types of content
> – also TPEG based POI data -
> https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interest
> (For completion there is also a push mode for various types of
> content – so far no need for TPEG support -  https://wiki.apertis.org
> /Data_sharing )
> again, we have it designed already.

Yes.

> 3) now we add the route-list to the SDK-API, where I also ask to
> provide capabilities to add POIs to it (independent from the navi-
> app)

I think this is covered by the SDK navigation route guidance API (§7.6
of version 0.3.1 of the document), if we are using the same meaning for
‘route list’ (see above).

> In any case we do need the route list, it has originally nothing to
> do with the POI discussion. Apps shall be able to consume information
> about the current route and to create some functionality. That the
> purpose of the route list essentially.

What do you mean by ‘create some functionality’?

In the design as it stands currently, applications cannot augment the
route list returned by the SDK navigation route guidance API. They can
augment the list of POIs returned by the POI API (https://wiki.apertis.
org/Points_of_interest).

> Based on that scope, I am asking for the additional functionality to
> add Metadata/Content from Apps directly to it, especially POIs. Its
> neither a first priority nor will it dramatically change the design.
> Its simple an add-on. We can even decide to implement it later.

For clarity, which API do you mean by ‘it’?

> Similar stuff is valid for the guidance & assist window discussion.
> The APIs for the “guidance”  (which is “just another notification
> style API for a dedicated purpose”) as also the assist window (which
> is just another system chrome application where for example the data
> exposed via the guidance notification style SDK-API lands in) are
> optional and don’t have side effects to other SDK-APIs. So we can
> implementation wise realize it in a later step, its not of first
> priority. However, I like to have a common understanding about the
> overall scope early.
> If we provide capabilities to add metadata into an available route-
> list to Apps, other Apps (than the navi app) can add additional
> content/ additional metadata to available content, for example POIs
> into a currently shared route list. Since we have already
> libchamplain and also the Point_of_interest and sharing mechanisms
> design, My focus is on just one more method for that route-list. I am
> _not_ talking about any big thing, especially not about a central POI
> service.
> I would like to propose we serialize the discussion. How about first
> finalizing the solution for the route list, including POIs into it
> from Apps via an SDK API.
> Then reflect, for what a central POI service could be beneficial ?
> I have embedded some comments below in green.

I’ve put a few replies below too.

OK, we would have to add a separate SDK API for handling guidance
notifications, similar to the existing org.freedesktop.Notifications
API for handling other notifications from applications. I will include
a recommendation for that in the next update to the document.

> The guidance UI would take data from the SDK points of interest API,
> and from the SDK navigation route guidance API (§7.6). This would
> allow
> it to render the route (from the guidance API), and points of
> interest
> along the way (from the PoI API).
> The navigation UI (where the driver chooses their destination and
> plans
> the route) may retrieve points of interest from the SDK, or may
> choose
> not to if the developer thinks they will be distracting.
> i.e. The SDK API you are suggesting for the data from the guidance UI
> is effectively the points of interest API plus the navigation route
> guidance API.
> Andre: like said, its not the “points_of_interest” API, its from the
> route-list API.
> > To this route list, other apps can directly add further data. This
> is
> > _not_ forwarded to the navi-app, it does not modify the route list
> > nor does it gets stored by the navi-app. The navi app don’t has any
> > interest in getting and managing it. This data, gets provided by
> the
> > source app to the rout–list and with that finally rendered to the
> > user by some system service (assist window). On the other hand,
> other
> > apps can consume this enriched route list again for their build-in
> > functions and policies. Its all outside the navigation, the navi
> only
> > provides the initial foundation.
> That’s possible due to the split between the navigation UI and the
> guidance UI. The navigation UI can choose to not query for points of
> interest, or can heavily filter the PoI requests it makes.
> Conversely,
> the guidance UI can query for lots of PoIs.
> If other applications want to display something similar to the
> guidance
> UI, they must make the same navigation route guidance API and PoI API
> queries as made by the guidance UI. This should be simple to do, and
> allows each application to further customise the points of interest
> they display.
> Andre:
> to be honest, the use-cases behind that stuff is _not_ that another
> app will do something similar like the guidance UI.

Sorry, when I said “if other applications want to display something
similar to the guidance UI” I meant something more like “if other
applications want to display the current route, or the current route
plus nearby POIs”.

> Other Apps uses information form that API for their essential
> service, e.g. if an App of a weather service does know intermediate
> destinations from the route list, it may decides to show entries on
> top of the stored locations for current destination and intermediate
> destinations (in todays list you have the current positon for example
> as a default, this app could extend that approach depending on stuff
> from the route list).
> Or if a gasoline station app adds a refueling stop into the route
> list for a location to be reached at a time where the car runs low on
> fuel, a restaurant app may uses this information to add recommended
> cafeterias into the route list to align the breaks for the driver.
> Or if a restaurant app decides to add restaurant POIs as
> recommendations into the route list for a location to be reached at a
> time where a break would be wise, a installed “coupon” app may add
> available discounts available at this location.
> etc.

I don’t think I can fully understand these points without agreeing on
the terminology at the top of the e-mail.

In the current version of the design, these use cases are handled by:
 • The gasoline station application exposes gasoline stations as points
of interest via the POI API (https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interes
t).
 • The restaurant application exposes restaurants as points of interest
via the POI API (https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interest).
 • The navigation application contains the logic to:
  - Detect where in the route the vehicle is likely to need refuelling,
query the POI API (https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interest) for
gasoline stations, and add them to the route.
  - Detect when in the route the driver is likely to need food, query
the POI API (https://wiki.apertis.org/Points_of_interest) for
restaurants, and add them to the route.

I can’t think of a sensible way of handling coupons at the moment. They
don’t really fit into any of the existing APIs.

The design is this way round, rather than allowing the restaurant and
gasoline applications to ‘insert’ recommendations into the route list
because it leaves the navigation application in charge of which
restaurants (for example) are shown. It means the code for determining
when is ‘a good time to stop for food’ is in one place (the navigation
application) rather than many (each restaurant application), each of
which could end up using different definitions of when is ‘a good time
to stop for food’ in order to gain competitive advantage.

(Above, I am using ‘navigation application’ to mean the entire
navigation application bundle, including any UIs, agents, or services
which it provides.)

Philip